Author Topic: Initial D 4th Stage comments... - Archive Topic (Locked)  (Read 970360 times)

3sgte

Re: Initial D 4th Stage comments...
« Reply #1080 on: March 18, 2005, 01:51:02 pm »
JC:
Possibly to prevent the turbo from overspeeding in the rarified atmosphere at high altitude...

Eg. the exhaust flow to spin the turbine is there, but there is not enough resistance (intake air density) to prevent turbine overspeeding

Offline JC

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: March 18, 2005, 03:00:49 pm »
From what I read of the whole thread (8 stinking pages of it mind you), it's basically just to spool the turbo up, then cuts out after it's spooled nicely, although from what some of the people on there were speculating that the turbo spools at 6000rpm (Considering the redline on EVO's, that's pretty damn late and just top end power)

The setup has been done before by people, and it has worked out after all the hassles have been ironed out, but I'm still waiting to see if it actually keys in okay, else kaboom! (Nice to know he's getting the gearbox made here, god knows why)

I guess that without the supercharger, you'd be there for ages waiting for spool, and when it does, you've got to shift, thus having a massive lag without having the cubic inches of block size and capacity to back it up, as if it was a V6 or a V8, you wouldn't need the supercharger as much, the engine would produce enough exhaust to spool it early.

The one thing they'd definately have a problem with, is if they tuned it for the thin air there, then raced at sea level without a retune... That'd increase the risk of blowing the thing apart dramatically, as it'd be doing too much cfm and psi to handle... In theory
"Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost

Offline Brokenimage0

• kl33my Hero
  • Time to roll the dice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: March 18, 2005, 09:45:31 pm »
no no no what he means is at higher altitudes the air is thinner so the turbo wont act as efficently so he needs a way to get more thin air in than by just the turbo alone. At least im pretty sure thats what he meant,
The planet weaves a cruel fate for men... Children are always the first to suffer... Geostigma,Genova,Reunion... Children who have lost hope... Respite for the Soul... And so he takes sword in hand once again...

Offline Elchfaenger

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: March 19, 2005, 12:00:28 am »
Well, about what altitudes are we talking? Surely less than 1000m, right? I dont think this would be a problem for turbos, because the air density at 0 and at 1000m differs by 15%.
we all know that the air density also changes with the temperature. In a temperature range between -10°C an 30°C it differs by ~15% as well (at sealevel)
But a turbo doesnt overspeed in the summer, right? So it wouldnt at 1000m altitude
Speed doesn't kill - its the sudden stop that hurts!

Offline Brokenimage0

• kl33my Hero
  • Time to roll the dice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: March 19, 2005, 12:44:12 am »
well im not sure since he didnt name a place but if it was like the us mile high city then it would since its around 2km(not sure of the exact conversions). But my favorite is a high rev engine like the rotarys and such its sounds so awesome.
The planet weaves a cruel fate for men... Children are always the first to suffer... Geostigma,Genova,Reunion... Children who have lost hope... Respite for the Soul... And so he takes sword in hand once again...

Offline hellbent

• Condor Hero
  • don't drift under the influence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: March 19, 2005, 01:15:03 am »
yup, damn those rotorys rev high, anyway This IS a ID topic. Lets not stray away from the topic, I guess I was one of the few who started it. Back on track now,
is it just me, or did this stage just suck, I dont mean the story or visuals, what killed it was the long wait between eps. If it wasnt for my PS2 ID game, or arcade, I would have forgt 4stage all together. Lets hope they dont do the same thing in 5th stage.
There are 2 things infinite.
Human stupidity and the Universe....Iam not sure about the universe.

Offline Elchfaenger

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: March 19, 2005, 02:55:29 am »
I think the story sucks in this stage, because there is none. What is the goal of Project D? Are they making progress? I really cant tell right now. What about Takumis progress as a racer? Every race is tougher than the one before, but somehow he manages to get away by luck or mistakes of his opponent.
At least the story with Keisuke and his "darling" showed something like a plot.
But still i love ID, because the CG, the sound, the athmosphere of the races are just great.

oh btw brokenimage: a mile is 1.6km
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 02:56:14 am by Elchfaenger »
Speed doesn't kill - its the sudden stop that hurts!

Offline debchan

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: March 19, 2005, 04:02:56 am »
I think Takumi is progressing.  He's learning something every race, even if it's something as basic as figuring out the difference between how he drives and how his opponent drives.  He's then applying what he's learned to each new race, and growing as a driver (even Bunta sees this when Takumi talks about needing to drive on Akina).

I think one of this big differences between this stage and previous ones is that all of the life lessons seems to learned by side characters, not Takumi.  However, this doesn't bother me, as Takumi himself has said he doesn't have time to think about anything but driving right now.

(And OT or not, I love it when you guys talk cars. *g*)

Drift

« Reply #1088 on: March 19, 2005, 04:40:36 am »
Yeah but there's not enough action in Takumi's life other than racing and winning. If only they would include some more action in his life...that would be be good.

Just_J

« Reply #1089 on: March 19, 2005, 04:47:48 am »
The advantage of the supercharger is  with it on a low boost, it means that the turbo, regardless of if it's extremely large or not, spool up quickly at low RPMS due to the high pressure of the exhaust gasses from the supercharger rapidly force feeding it from the moment the engine rpms climb above idle (Or if he really wants to be smart/stupid, depending on your view of his well being if he dumps it or not, can have it boosting at idle... Not very smart!).

That and the SC will provide boost when the turbo isn't spooled. :)

Offline JC

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: March 19, 2005, 04:50:11 am »
He is progressing... Although from what I've seen of the new intro for ID *Hehe*, Bunta's intervention shows soon enough...

I got another groups sub of ep11, it's not as good as LE, but anyway... That aside, I've watched it about 10 times now... 11 as I'm typing this (Dual monitor rocks!), and I must say, he's definately improved. After watching it a few times, then doing all the research behind it all, say the physics and so on, it's feasable, but would take a lot of skill and luck... That being said, I know probably one or two people that would be able to do that, but not in an FR, have to be AWD.

As for high revving rotaries, I think the sound of either a very nice 5.7L V8 twin turbo at 5,7000rpm... Sounding like the scream of a banshee, is muuuuch nicer :P

Just_J

« Reply #1091 on: March 19, 2005, 04:53:00 am »
JC:
Possibly to prevent the turbo from overspeeding in the rarified atmosphere at high altitude...

Eg. the exhaust flow to spin the turbine is there, but there is not enough resistance (intake air density) to prevent turbine overspeeding

That's why the car gods invented the Wastegate. If the turbo is being overdriven, and the wastegate is cracking as it should, he needs to invest in an external wastegate, or port out the flow sections for his existing internal wastegate.

Just_J

« Reply #1092 on: March 19, 2005, 04:56:23 am »
He is progressing... Although from what I've seen of the new intro for ID *Hehe*, Bunta's intervention shows soon enough...

I got another groups sub of ep11, it's not as good as LE, but anyway... That aside, I've watched it about 10 times now... 11 as I'm typing this (Dual monitor rocks!), and I must say, he's definately improved. After watching it a few times, then doing all the research behind it all, say the physics and so on, it's feasable, but would take a lot of skill and luck... That being said, I know probably one or two people that would be able to do that, but not in an FR, have to be AWD.

You can find other subs for Ep 12 if you search the web. Out of respect for LE, I won't whore up their forum with a link.

As for high revving rotaries, I think the sound of either a very nice 5.7L V8 twin turbo at 5,7000rpm... Sounding like the scream of a banshee, is muuuuch nicer :P

Rotaries sound like pissed off chainsaws, lol. I love the sound of a big V8 roaring along. The scream of F1 cars gives me chills. Also, I have to show my Subaru fanboyism... an uncorked flat 4 (even a flat 6) is music to me. :)

Offline DeadAlready911

• kl33my Hero
  • Very Dead, Very Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: March 19, 2005, 05:30:54 am »
This thread is HUGE

Offline JC

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: March 19, 2005, 06:31:39 am »
Sure is :P

Some guys I know with way too much money got their hands on an old V10 in non working condition from somewhere... Spent three months getting it running, as they had to wait for parts to be made (Forged pistons and crank, plus custom valves)... Now they've customised the throttle body to have two intakes, each one at 3/4 and 7/8 pistons respectively... Next step is to test out making it a twin supercharger.

They're not gutsy enough to put it in a car, needless to say a gokart (That was the original idea, a V10 go kart!!)

We're aussies, we're nuts... And we don't care :P