Author Topic: Initial D 4th Stage comments... - Archive Topic (Locked)  (Read 970217 times)

Offline Usagi_Yojimbo

• Condor Hero
  • It wasn't me, I wasn't there, you can't prove it!!
    • View Profile
Re: Initial D 4th Stage comments...
« Reply #1095 on: March 19, 2005, 09:41:50 am »

They're not gutsy enough to put it in a car

Built a bike frame around it ... ala tomahawk
http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/tomahawk.html
He who sleep with itchy butthole. Wake with stinky finger

Kyuzo

« Reply #1096 on: March 19, 2005, 10:24:56 am »
Ok First of I would like to say thanx for all the info guys, u have a lot of knowldge.
I'v found aout a lot by just reading this thred. Its nice to know things about other racing sports, I say this b/c I have not goten in to drift or raley racing, yet, I'm more of a drag racer I have a 94 300ZX Twin Turbo.  putting out about 1200 hp and i put down mid to low 10's and once got  a 9.967 i was stoked to see a 9 lol.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 10:27:21 am by Kyuzo »

Offline JC

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: March 19, 2005, 11:19:34 am »
Those Tomahawk bikes look nice, but honestly scare me a lot... I'm not a fan of motorbikes, guy that was on a car cruise a while ago works as a nurse in a hospital emergency department... Motorcycle riders are nicknamed "Organ Donors" :/

A 300ZX would be okay at drifting, provided you had a little more clearance, and probably more rubber on those wheels (They look like 21" rims to me, great for drags, but they lose their tread quickly)... 1200hp is impressive to say the least, but I wonder how much of that is actually useable in something other than a straight line?

Also, just out of curiousity, how heavy is that 300ZX? :P
"Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost

Offline Elchfaenger

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 19, 2005, 02:41:15 pm »

That's why the car gods invented the Wastegate. If the turbo is being overdriven, and the wastegate is cracking as it should, he needs to invest in an external wastegate, or port out the flow sections for his existing internal wastegate.

Isnt that a bypass valve? Afaik a wastegate evacuates the turbo when you step off the gas to remove the resistance of the compressed air and makes this lovely sound *g*

Maybe Takumi makes progess, but to me its not that impressive, no revolution. If he keeps developing in that way, there should be a better driver or at least a better car very soon.

Oh and dont make me watch ep 11 +12 even more!! Havent touched it so far, so please stop spoiling!
Speed doesn't kill - its the sudden stop that hurts!

Kyuzo

« Reply #1099 on: March 19, 2005, 04:00:05 pm »

Also, just out of curiousity, how heavy is that 300ZX? :P

I dont realy know I'v never had my car on the scales. but i can tell u that I'v knocked abour 300-400 lbs off the stock weight (I will try and find out how heavy a stock 300ZX is)

and the bike is my roomates its ok, my 300ZX is a lot nicer.  ;)

3sgte

« Reply #1100 on: March 19, 2005, 05:01:18 pm »

Isnt that a bypass valve? Afaik a wastegate evacuates the turbo when you step off the gas to remove the resistance of the compressed air and makes this lovely sound *g*

What you are referring to is a blow off valve. It serves a different purpose.

It allows the turbine to spool down a bit more gracefully when the throttle is suddenly closed.

Eg, the turbo is spinning like nobody's business, pumping a massive volume of air. Where does all that air go when the throttle is closed? The turbo does not want to stop spinning instantly, if it meets a sudden pressure increase at its outlet as it is spinning at speed, that wall of air will slow it down quite abruptly.

The blowoff valve opens when there is boost and a strong vacuum in the intake. Non OE ones are often adjustble.

Offline Dapprman

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: March 19, 2005, 06:17:44 pm »
The dump/blow-off valve also protects your turbo impellar.  If the pressurised air is forced back in to it, it will suffer from damage, as might the waste gate.  The sound of waste-gate flutter is nice, but not a good thing for the turbo.

Offline JC

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: March 19, 2005, 07:38:58 pm »
If you want to know what 30psi of boost with no blow off valve does with an engine, stick some dynamite in your block... It'll give about the same effect :/

I still don't like turbo's, even if you set them up right, they still don't quite make the mark that a supercharger does... The right supercharger, can in most cases, outperform a turbo all the way through the powerband (Hey, for anyone wondering, the TRD Atlantic engine in the AE86, would need a custom supercharger, else it would melt, since superchargers spin at about 1.26 times faster than the engine does, so 11,000rpm...  13,860rpm... Bye bye Supercharger :P)

Offline CooBlueDAB

• Condor Hero
  • To each his own, and I'm in my own universe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: March 19, 2005, 07:56:27 pm »
Ok First of I would like to say thanx for all the info guys, u have a lot of knowldge.
I'v found aout a lot by just reading this thred. Its nice to know things about other racing sports, I say this b/c I have not goten in to drift or raley racing, yet, I'm more of a drag racer I have a 94 300ZX Twin Turbo.  putting out about 1200 hp and i put down mid to low 10's and once got  a 9.967 i was stoked to see a 9 lol.

1200 HP? and into the 9s? on those rims and body kit?   Sorry if I seem rude... but what do you have in the engine to make it run that? what are the mods...  

Ive never seen anyone that says they are a drag racer with a body kit nor those huge rims because it slows them down.

If you can prove me wrong, I'm sorry, but until then, I will suspect it is mildly modded if that.. with only a body kit that adds "900-1000" whp...
Kevin is awesome, worship him! (YES!)

chichin0

« Reply #1104 on: March 19, 2005, 11:59:14 pm »
with only a body kit that adds "900-1000" whp...

saw one of these body kits on a Geo prism the other day.... lmao

Seriously though, have you got any drag slips to back up this claim? It seems pretty far fetched.  Most 9 second cars (unless you are watching the fast and furious) are completely stripped and have only essential mechanical and aerodynamic parts on them.  I will reserve judgement because I have been wrong before, but post some slips so we know this isnt a car off ebay that you claim is 1200 bhp and running 9 sec 1/4.  

Offline hellbent

• Condor Hero
  • don't drift under the influence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: March 20, 2005, 02:22:47 am »
Another thing is I dont see an intercooler (Could be watercooled, but unlikely). Plus big ass rims like dont make good drag rims. The bodykit looks like Plexiglass,or fiberglass, not anything that can withstad such speeds. Remember Plexiglass wraps at high speeds.
Please post proof, cause I would love it, to be proved wrong. No intent on insulting u or anything, but just need proof
There are 2 things infinite.
Human stupidity and the Universe....Iam not sure about the universe.

Kyuzo

« Reply #1106 on: March 20, 2005, 02:39:51 am »
Ok in the pic all of the grils in the nose are removeable(i take them off to race),the intercooler is behind them. the kit on my car is all carbonfiber (painted), the inside is gutted, and for the rims I dont race on my 20's i have a set of 17 that i ues. Im not insullted by any of your Q's I understand. and asfar as drag slips are consernd sorry I dont have any (did not think to keepthem sorry).

Offline JC

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 20, 2005, 04:51:27 am »
From what I remember of a 300ZX and setups that can be done... You don't really need to worry about the weight of the car, as they pull like a cut snake.

Downside of a 300ZX is they are heavy, and have a fat ass... Also prone to overheating :/

Change your hood to a mesh type, and a few extra things that increase the airflow, and try racing with the kit on, see how much it affects your time then. Just looking at the kit as it is, the flow of the body is designed to keep the front end down low, possibly too low... At least you don't have an enormously retarded wing on the ass end that you'd need to do 38432 mph to take ful advantage of :P

3sgte

« Reply #1108 on: March 20, 2005, 05:43:25 am »
and asfar as drag slips are consernd sorry I dont have any (did not think to keepthem sorry).

You didn't think to keep the slips from a run that saw you go under 10?

Even if I didn't need them for myself or my buddies, I would have kept them in case I needed to sell the car!

Offline JC

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: March 20, 2005, 06:39:20 am »
If I was to sell that car if it was mine... I'd revert it to stock before booting it, unless the person offered me the right price for it as is. Over here, one of the states, Victoria, they have a power to weight ratio rule for Probationary drivers (People who've had their licence less than 2 years)... And it's amazing the rulings there, you can get most cars with a turbo, but you can't have a V8 bigger than a 4L from memory... I don't live there, thank god... They're weird peoples :P