Author Topic: Initial D 4th Stage comments... - Archive Topic (Locked)  (Read 952572 times)

Evolution

Re: Initial D 4th Stage comments...
« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2004, 03:44:30 am »
its all good were just over analyzing the situation.

We are just passing time till the next Initial D release lol

Bukkake-Kun

« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2004, 04:06:23 am »
hehe good one    :D

MAD_MAX

« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2004, 04:15:28 am »
Is there any sign of life for the eps 5 & 6!!!?? >:( A lot of people including ME are waiting. I don't want to push the subbers (Maybe a little) but at least, give us a date of realese or something. ??? Initial D fan are soooooo bored to wait and there is some of them that are even worried (like me). When they are coming out! Its the only thing I want to know. :'(

Bukkake-Kun

« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2004, 05:00:52 am »
Just a suggestion, maybe if you went to their IRC channel and ask them nicely they might tell you how far they are on their translation.

Judging from what happened with eps 3 and 4, Live-Evil releases their work as soon as it is done. So you might get your hands on ep 5 soon enough, and might need to wait 3 more days until you can view ep 6.

Now, do you really want to wait 3 days for ep 6 after ep 5 probably left off with a cliffhanger?  :D

I think it would be a good idea to wait a bit longer for the possibility to view 5-6 back to back.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 05:01:56 am by Bukkake-Kun »

Shouji_Shingo

« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2004, 07:36:16 am »
Correct. That is why there are no westerners releasing Japanese music CDs. Something like that might happen someday, but I'm fairly certain that such an artist would have mastered Japanese pronounciation beforehand.

You, sir, are wrong. There are plenty of westerners that have released Japanese albums. First on the top of my head is none other than football superstar Warren Sapp's brother Bob Sapp who is very big in Japan right now.

Now, the problem here is that youre arguing a subject you dont know. In Japan, it is very commonplace for a lot of things to have english in them. Advertisments, commercials, products, everything. No matter how bad it is. Hence Engrish.com. Its funny to us, but they dont know any better. Aisu Kurimu. What did I just say? Here is another one, how many of you have been to Disuni rando? There is a nice place in Japan called Supesu Warudo. Daiyamondo's are forever. Anyone own a pair of Aisu Suketo's? I bet there are a lot of people here who like basukettoboru, and are big Lakers fans. How many Ranpu's do you have in your house? After a long hard day at work, I like to sit down with an aisu cold biru. Ive never owned a car that was painted gure. Need I go on? Or do you get the fucking idea yet?

You may be trilungual, but you sure are ignorant.

Hex

« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2004, 08:27:35 am »
After reading all this I felt I had to sign up and make a post. Judging by your comments I take it none of you have ever tried learning Japanese in great depth. Part of the cause of “engrish” is down to the Kana (One of the Japanese alphabets, A mixture Hiragana of and Katakana) these alphabets determine pronunciation of written words. Have you ever heard a Japanese person trying to use an English name for instance, Watson as in Dr Watson from Sherlock Holmes.  They would pronounce Watason, Wa-ta-so-n as the alphabet dose not have a “ts” sound other than “tsu”, so they must use the closest sounding syllable they have, in this case, "ta".

Now I admit I don’t have that much knowledge of Japanese, having not long started studying it, but this is the insight I can give you.

Bukkake-Kun

« Reply #141 on: August 30, 2004, 08:36:42 am »
You, sir, are wrong. There are plenty of westerners that have released Japanese albums. First on the top of my head is none other than football superstar Warren Sapp's brother Bob Sapp who is very big in Japan right now.

Point taken. But personally, I think he barely qualifies as a "japanese" artist. There is 1 Japanese man singing in the background, with Sapp singing mostly in english, with the occasional grunting. I don't like it as much as I don't like the engrish songs.

Now, the problem here is that youre arguing a subject you dont know. In Japan, it is very commonplace for a lot of things to have english in them. Advertisments, commercials, products, everything. No matter how bad it is. Hence Engrish.com.

Apparently, you don't know that all of the above is explained in engrish.com

Its funny to us, but they dont know any better.

That has been my position from the beginning. But concerning the singers, don't tell me they can't afford to hire a translator to check their english structure or correct their pronounciation. Again, I have complete respect for people like Utada Hikaru who sings in both Japanese and english and does a good job at both. Aside from Utada, there are other J artists that have good pronounciation, so some do know better.

Aisu Kurimu. What did I just say? Here is another one, how many of you have been to Disuni rando? There is a nice place in Japan called Supesu Warudo. Daiyamondo's are forever. Anyone own a pair of Aisu Suketo's? I bet there are a lot of people here who like basukettoboru, and are big Lakers fans. How many Ranpu's do you have in your house? After a long hard day at work, I like to sit down with an aisu cold biru. Ive never owned a car that was painted gure. Need I go on? Or do you get the fucking idea yet?

Why do you hate America?

You may be trilungual, but you sure are ignorant.

I am just an occasionnal anime fan, and i admit that I do not know everything about Japanese pop culture or all the Japanese equivalent of simple english words.  I don't try to use mispronounced Japanese words at work, home or anywhere in between to further my gains. I don't add Japanese words to my emails titles for extra spice either.
Forgiveness please!

After all, why say basketball when I can say basukettoboru? I could be different from my peers and be as cool as the Japanese who mix in poorly pronounced english words in their music.

Bukkake-Kun

« Reply #142 on: August 30, 2004, 08:56:49 am »
After reading all this I felt I had to sign up and make a post. Judging by your comments I take it none of you have ever tried learning Japanese in great depth. Part of the cause of ?engrish? is down to the Kana (One of the Japanese alphabets, A mixture Hiragana of and Katakana) these alphabets determine pronunciation of written words. Have you ever heard a Japanese person trying to use an English name for instance, Watson as in Dr Watson from Sherlock Holmes.  They would pronounce Watason, Wa-ta-so-n as the alphabet dose not have a ?ts? sound other than ?tsu?, so they must use the closest sounding syllable they have, in this case, "ta".

You are saying that Japanese and english are different. I agree with that.

But when you're a professional with plenty of cash and refuses to hire a translator, instead choosing to emit funny sounds, that's just silly.

Some Japanese singers aim for excellence, others choose to wallow in mediocrity.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 08:59:07 am by Bukkake-Kun »

Offline Yoten

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 30, 2004, 09:55:08 am »
Is there any sign of life for the eps 5 & 6!!!?? >:( A lot of people including ME are waiting. I don't want to push the subbers (Maybe a little) but at least, give us a date of realese or something. ??? Initial D fan are soooooo bored to wait and there is some of them that are even worried (like me). When they are coming out! Its the only thing I want to know. :'(

And if we give you all a release date, and then miss it... what then, huh?

Offline Yoten

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2004, 09:56:19 am »

Why do you hate America?

Ah yes, it's wonderful tidbits like this that kept me laughing throughout the past page or two of posts.

Chapel

« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2004, 10:24:19 am »
looking forward to the next two.

lifesaver

« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2004, 11:25:51 am »

And if we give you all a release date, and then miss it... what then, huh?

how about just an update on where its at? like how far along you guys are with 5 and 6.  no release date need to be given

and about this japanese artists singing english in their songs.  maybe it's meant to make sense, maybe it's not, maybe it's meant to be sung the way they did, or maybe it's because they are lazy to hire someone to teach them how to say it properly.  it is still THEIR music, i dont see why people are just making assumptions on why the words are there where it is or why they sing it the way they do.  if you really care about it that much, shoot, write a threatening email to the artist or something.
and personally i think most engrish happen because they just translate the original language literally, and for whatever reason, they dont make it gramatically correct.  maybe they are lazy, or maybe they just dont give 2 ****s about it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 11:32:53 am by lifesaver »

lifesaver

« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2004, 11:39:31 am »

You are saying that Japanese and english are different. I agree with that.

But when you're a professional with plenty of cash and refuses to hire a translator, instead choosing to emit funny sounds, that's just silly.

Some Japanese singers aim for excellence, others choose to wallow in mediocrity.

how do you know that they REFUSE to hire a translator? do u know this artist personally? and excellence could mean many different things to different people.  maybe they'd rather spend their time on writing better lyrics, maybe they'd rather spend more time on composing better music, why do they have to care about one little english word that they happen to use in their song.  it doesn't hurt the song, unless i guess you are one of those people who just likes to nitpick everything they see/hear.  in that case, please by all means, write your own songs (or pay people to write them for you) and sing them yourself with the right pronouciation.

Bukkake-Kun

« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2004, 07:06:02 pm »
How do you know that they REFUSE to hire a translator?

The pronounciation would not be way off if they did. And the english lyrics can be ridden with mistakes, even on paper.

do u know this artist personally? and excellence could mean many different things to different people.

To me, it just means that if you are using foreign words, use them in the right context and pronounce them correctly.

maybe they'd rather spend their time on writing better lyrics, maybe they'd rather spend more time on composing better music, why do they have to care about one little english word that they happen to use in their song.

There is usually more than 1 english word, sometimes they even make up the whole song. Sure, they can choose not to care if they want to, but then the end result just sounds silly.

it is still THEIR music, i dont see why people are just making assumptions on why the words are there where it is or why they sing it the way they do.  if you really care about it that much, shoot, write a threatening email to the artist or something.
and personally i think most engrish happen because they just translate the original language literally, and for whatever reason, they dont make it gramatically correct.  

That's why a translator would be useful.

and about this japanese artists singing english in their songs.  maybe it's meant to make sense, maybe it's not,

I would agree with the latter.

maybe it's meant to be sung the way they did, or maybe it's because they are lazy to hire someone to teach them how to say it properly.

I agree.

in that case, please by all means, write your own songs (or pay people to write them for you) and sing them yourself with the right pronouciation.

My point all along was that it is silly to sing words that you can't pronounce correctly, why would I do that myself?

It's not like there is no remedy for their poor grasp of english. They could learn English and concentrate on singing in a language they excel at (Japanese) in the meantime. There are J artists that are good at both english and their native tongue. Or, do like Hack Sign who chose a western performer to sing most of their english songs.

it doesn't hurt the song, unless i guess you are one of those people who just likes to nitpick everything they see/hear.

I praise what I think is well done and criticize the opposite.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 07:15:31 pm by Bukkake-Kun »

lifesaver

« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2004, 10:32:06 pm »

The pronounciation would not be way off if they did. And the english lyrics can be ridden with mistakes, even on paper.

of course, you are assuming that they didnt

To me, it just means that if you are using foreign words, use them in the right context and pronounce them correctly.

exactly, but excellence might mean differently to them.  so this is a pointless argument.

There is usually more than 1 english word, sometimes they even make up the whole song. Sure, they can choose not to care if they want to, but then the end result just sounds silly.

dont take everything i said literally, when i said one word, i meant that it takes up only a fraction of the song.

That's why a translator would be useful.

i was directing that at the screenshots of games that i saw on engrish.com.  those games were pretty old, im not sure if japanese games nowadays still do that.

I would agree with the latter.

of course, you are assuming again that the latter is correct.

I agree.

same as above.

My point all along was that it is silly to sing words that you can't pronounce correctly, why would I do that myself?

my point was for you to sing an english song with proper pronounciation yourself. then you could sit back and listen to THAT instead of japanese artists singing english word with wrong pronounciation.

It's not like there is no remedy for their poor grasp of english. They could learn English and concentrate on singing in a language they excel at (Japanese) in the meantime. There are J artists that are good at both english and their native tongue. Or, do like Hack Sign who chose a western performer to sing most of their english songs.

why should they limit themselves to one language? just because u happen to not like the way they sing their songs?

I praise what I think is well done and criticize the opposite.

so u dont think anything of the song is well done? cause all i've seen you do is criticize. personally i think no one should criticize someone else unless they can do it better. (in this case, singing japanese songs with english words in them, and not just pronounciation)

all in all, i think this argument is and will go nowhere because there are too many assumptions made.  we could argue all day and still be saying the same thing cause we've already assumed what we dont know.

well that quote thing didn't go too well, but at least it's still readable.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 10:35:06 pm by lifesaver »