Author Topic: Initial D 4th Stage comments... - Archive Topic (Locked)  (Read 954912 times)

Sti_Brumby

Re: Initial D 4th Stage comments...
« Reply #1155 on: March 24, 2005, 11:12:40 am »
Kangaroo land wtf???? i live in australia and only see one if i'm lucky. There not everywere how you think.

Offline Usagi_Yojimbo

• Condor Hero
  • It wasn't me, I wasn't there, you can't prove it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: March 24, 2005, 03:11:03 pm »
every experience I've had with an Evo "here in the states" just stinks. Mitsubishi sucks donkey dong and I wish they'd just go out of business already. no offense to any triple-tri fanboys here, but seriously they underbuild overhyped jelopi's under badge's of vehicles that used to be cool, like the Evo or the Eclipse. I say they need a good swift kick in the sack to get their shit straight.
He who sleep with itchy butthole. Wake with stinky finger

Just_J

« Reply #1157 on: March 24, 2005, 08:41:52 pm »
The higher the octane number, the slower it burns, and the higher the temps need to be to light it off. Compression itself doesn't really come into play, the reason fuel detonates in high compression is because of all the heat.

Companies tune their cars to run on certain types of gas. It's not too hard to tweak a ECU map to run on crappy gas for a different country, it's the same as when a car such as a WRC car switches maps for the road sections. Less aggression in the mixture (they run the car richer, use less aggressive timing) = less risk of pinging = more reliability. Hell, here in the states, the gas Quality from Mobil may be better than the gas from Phillips 66, or you may get a bad batch of gas. That's why all modern cars have Knock sensors. While they can't cure really bad detonation, they can retard the timing enough to quell small pings. Many stock cars will ping under high load in warm weather.

In the US we use (RON + MON)/2 for our octane rating, some countries use one or the other, which can be misleading. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but there was a lot of debate about how cars in Japan use higher octane, thus they run higher power numbers than what is possible in the US. Only Japan uses RON, which reads as a higher number than (RON + MON)/2. So 96 Octane in Japan may be the same as 91 in the states. The cars are detuned for emissions overhead.

every experience I've had with an Evo "here in the states" just stinks. Mitsubishi sucks donkey dong and I wish they'd just go out of business already. no offense to any triple-tri fanboys here, but seriously they underbuild overhyped jelopi's under badge's of vehicles that used to be cool, like the Evo or the Eclipse. I say they need a good swift kick in the sack to get their shit straight.

I'll agree that Mitsu is a sh*t company, but the EVO is a great car.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 08:44:24 pm by Just_J »

Offline Usagi_Yojimbo

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: March 24, 2005, 09:02:42 pm »
Don't get me wrong I'm sure it's a blast to drive, but the recent Evo released in the U.S. ( the Evo VIII right?? ) doesn't compare to Evo three's or four's, and I really my poiny is better made when you look at the Eclipse, the new generation is Eclipse is SO UGLY, and when was the last time they made a GSX,....... bastards.

Just_J

« Reply #1159 on: March 24, 2005, 09:47:36 pm »
Don't get me wrong I'm sure it's a blast to drive, but the recent Evo released in the U.S. ( the Evo VIII right?? ) doesn't compare to Evo three's or four's, and I really my poiny is better made when you look at the Eclipse, the new generation is Eclipse is SO UGLY, and when was the last time they made a GSX,....... bastards.

As far as the styling goes, the V and VI were my favorite. However, the VIII and the upcoming IX, are in almost every way better than the III, IV, and even the V. The VII was a peice of crap, too heavy, and ugly. The VIII, while still not a beauty to look at, is quicker, and more agile.

It seems both Mitsu and Subaru took a step back from the VI and Vers. 6 (respectively), before they began taking bigger steps forward.

I remember the New Age STi, while fast, wasn't as fast, or as nimble as the outgoing GC/GM chassis, because it was so damn heavy. The V6 weighed less than my RS (2825), at around 2770 lbs. IIRC, the New Age weighed more than that in Spec C trim. The current car is still heavy, but it's more powerful, and more agile than ever before.

As far as the Eclipse goes, sales numbers dictate the life of a car, and a trim level. The GSX accounted for less than 10% of Eclipse sales. The GST was a bit more, but the bulk of Mitsu's profits came from the RS, GS, and the Spyder. From a money making standpoint, it was smart of them to switch to a FWD V6 (existing drivetrain). I don't like it, but Mitsu needs to sell cars, and the GSX wasn't cutting it.

I can't stand Mitsu, so I'm not really defending them, just throwing out the logic as to why they did what they did. ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 09:54:10 pm by Just_J »

chichin0

« Reply #1160 on: March 24, 2005, 10:15:33 pm »
Kangaroo land wtf???? i live in australia and only see one if i'm lucky. There not everywere how you think.

Dude it was a joke, I didnt mean anything by it.  Feel free to call my country land of the bald eagles, or land of the overweight people ('cause god knows they ARE everywhere).  So dont go pulling out your crocodile dundee knife, ok? :)

As for Mitsu, the EVO is their only reliable and track worthy car.  It does not however, compare to a WRX STI in terms of quality.  Performance is somewhat equal (although my opinion is that the STI outperforms the EVO).

And as for the eclipse they stopped making good ones when they ended the gsx (and those were even a little low quality).  The glory days of mitsu were when they had the EVO's III, IV, V, VI, the 3000 GT VR4, and the Eclipse GSX.  Ever since then they have been kinda shitty.

fabs

« Reply #1161 on: March 24, 2005, 11:39:25 pm »

Dude it was a joke, I didnt mean anything by it.  Feel free to call my country land of the bald eagles, or land of the overweight people ('cause god knows they ARE everywhere).  So dont go pulling out your crocodile dundee knife, ok? :)

Hahah, I am Australian (in Sydney) and have just gotten back from a three month working trip in California. These generalisations are pretty funny.

I'd love to write more, but I have to go and scare these kangaroo's out of my vegatable garden with my massive croc knife.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 11:40:16 pm by fabs »

Evoluti0n

« Reply #1162 on: March 24, 2005, 11:41:30 pm »
if I had to pick one today, I would choose sti, better quality, good for the price and bigger engine. I cant see myself pay +28k for a mitsu car. Have you seen the interior, the quality looks crap. How much is the mr price at???

angelan

« Reply #1163 on: March 25, 2005, 12:46:57 am »
you guys should be happy with your evos.....you don't even have em here!!!! *shakes fist....hard....very hard....* altho i would choose the sti too (which we do have) =P

oh btw, i'm from the land of snow and ice and polar bears.....brb, one got into the igloo. (Canada)

Offline Brokenimage0

• kl33my Hero
  • Time to roll the dice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: March 25, 2005, 03:31:34 am »
man i missed alot in 5 days
The planet weaves a cruel fate for men... Children are always the first to suffer... Geostigma,Genova,Reunion... Children who have lost hope... Respite for the Soul... And so he takes sword in hand once again...

Offline hellbent

• Condor Hero
  • don't drift under the influence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: March 25, 2005, 06:10:57 am »
angelan, u from Canada to, what part. Iam in T.O.. Yeah anyways, at least u guys get the evo, we dont. also, u guys get the lotus elise, the car Iam trying to get. Now that car can kill the sti and evo, dont believe me, just read Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motortrend, all of them say the same thing, its a exotic killer. plus it has toyota engine. Imagine if someone tuned that car and engine (it goes 0-60 in 4.8 sec,stck).
There are 2 things infinite.
Human stupidity and the Universe....Iam not sure about the universe.

Offline JC

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: March 25, 2005, 07:36:26 am »
The octate level dictates the ways the car is manufactured, according to a subaru enthusiast that my dad works with. He got a 2004 Liberty top of the range last year, just after they stopped making the B4 (Twin Turbo), as the junk that was in the fuel we have here (Before BP Ultimate, which caused a riot in the High Octate fuel ranges) was extremely detrimental to the engines, thus the cars were tuned down, or simply using different components in key areas, thus reducing performance.

I still think that the MY98 WRX STi is the best one that Subaru ever released, what with a GReddy T66 and 205Kw... It's the fastest production one they've made... Apparently Australia gets a special edition over the next few years, since there's been some sort of outcry about it (Automotive writeup in the paper a few months back), that sees the STi go "Back to basics", ie: It loses most of the optional extras that come as standard, back to the beefed up engine design and a lighter body... At the sacrifice of some of the comforts, including climate control (Still gets aircon though, or free air, ala WINDOW).

So it just goes to show that if a country such as ours complains a lot and buys a huge amount of their '03/'04 stock... We get a little bit of a bonus (More like bribary, but they're bloody good cars)
"Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost

Offline hellbent

• Condor Hero
  • don't drift under the influence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: March 25, 2005, 08:51:18 am »
yeah it happend here in Canada, we got some special edition Tiburon, and some special Celica. Though both were crap, not much enhancment on the engine side, just some alloy rims and a disc changer.
Dont u just hate that, when they come out with a half-assed special editon.
There are 2 things infinite.
Human stupidity and the Universe....Iam not sure about the universe.

Offline Usagi_Yojimbo

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: March 25, 2005, 09:28:23 am »
I understand why Mitsubishi turned teh eclipse into a bitch wagon, but I can't condone it, AND it didn't work as predicted there still going down, they should've gone the other way and embraced their race heritage, I tell you a WRC Factory championship would save that company.

3sgte

« Reply #1169 on: March 25, 2005, 04:24:40 pm »
The octate level dictates the ways the car is manufactured, according to a subaru enthusiast that my dad works with.

Low octane fuel plus lots of boost = danger of detonation.
Vewy vewy badddd for booosted enginnne.

(hey, why is exhaust coming out of my valve cover? )