Author Topic: Initial D 4th Stage comments... - Archive Topic (Locked)  (Read 970514 times)

Offline Dapprman

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Initial D 4th Stage comments...
« Reply #1125 on: March 22, 2005, 03:15:15 am »
Kyuzo, I call BS.  Why do you feel the need to impress people by claiming to have a sub-10 second car?  I don't see a roll bar (required by any 1/4 mile track on cars that break 12s), and that interior doesn't look stripped at all. Those tires don't even look to be 245mm wide;  I wonder if that car is even turbocharged. How about some engine bay shots?

Sorry Scotty but you're possibly talking BS.  In the UK a roll-cage is not a requirement, just a recomendation.  Added to this - are you sure he doesn't have one in his car - it's hard to tell.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 03:16:50 am by Dapprman »

Just_J

« Reply #1126 on: March 22, 2005, 03:48:55 am »
Going by his language (said roommate, not flat mate) it sounds like he's from the states, and Scotty's right. To run on an NHRA licensed track, you have to have a roll cage for the speed's he's clocking. If you break the rollcage time once, they warn you, do it again, and they remove you from the track if your car doesn't fit safety regs. I can't see one in the car, but it's hard to tell.

Offline JC

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 22, 2005, 04:40:13 am »
I have nicknamed roll cages deathtraps, since every experience with one in a crash hasn't ever worked out...

Maybe it was just bad design, although I doubt it, considering they had been inspected by an engineer before the races, but they didn't work at all when you hit the barrier (K rail for people who want to know... It's a BIG concrete slab, steel reinforced... Even tanks can't get through them, and even have a hard time putting a hole in them with a shell), it seemed to do stuff all...

Car was doing roughly 160mph on a 300m straight just before a 45 degree right branch, got around there easily enough, started to brake down for a 90 degree left, cornered, hit a patch of oil, and just went sideways (drivers side), into the wall... Driver walked away, but the rollcage, the car, was about half the width of when we started (I was annoyed, spent 8 hours tuning the damn suspension :/)

Oh well, another 9 months untill we get another race spec car :/
"Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost

chichin0

« Reply #1128 on: March 22, 2005, 05:00:16 am »
Sounds like the rollcage did its job if he walked away from that nasty of a crash...

Offline CooBlueDAB

• Condor Hero
  • To each his own, and I'm in my own universe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 22, 2005, 05:18:51 am »
modified because I confused JC for the so called owner of the rice bucket.

Me = Loves the LE for giving me ID
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 08:27:22 am by CooBlueDAB »
Kevin is awesome, worship him! (YES!)

Offline JC

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: March 22, 2005, 06:45:13 am »
chichin0: Cage was rated for a certain amount of movement, top and front point bars snapped on impact... They're supposed to bend, not snap. So we're useing an alloy this time, not hi card stainless steel forged.

5 point harness? 4 points are quite adequate, and all we can afford to use...

What questions was there to answer, and where? I don't own a 300ZX that claims to do under 10s, I'm more interested in track events, say... 280 and 480 hp classes... The only times I even think of drag racing is after tweaking on my own car, and it's nothing impressive at the moment, still running stock times of 16s (Funny, my car is still stock!)

chichin0

« Reply #1131 on: March 22, 2005, 07:22:15 am »
      I understand what youre saying about the snapping of the roll cage, however at the speed the driver was going that is to be expected, im not trying to start a flame war or anything, its just that without the rollcage the cars frame and body would have had to absorb all of that impact that the cage took (and in the end broke under the pressure).  

Roll cages as most of you already know are kind of mislabeled, a roll cage (if correctly implemented) stiffens the chassis to help protect the driver in an accident (and most of the time improves handling and lessens torsional body forces) , they are not end all be all fixes and will break (as in the case of the ~160 side impact).  However, even in breaking they have absorbed a large amount of force (high carbon steel is tough shit) and still can be considered to do their job (probably saving drivers life).  

As for using Aluminum alloy what alloy are you using?  I have a metallurgy class right now and its just out of curiousity.  The only thing about aluminum cages is that you have to use more of the metal to get the same strength as hi carbon steel... aluminum is only lighter when you dont have to use twice as much to get the same effect (connecting rods demonstrate this nicely, on average an aluminum con rod weighs more than a steel one).  And as we all know after watching ID, weight is everything in racing.  You dont want to engineer an inferior roll cage, that will slow acceleration, worsen handling and braking, and not protect the driver as well... any way those were my 2 cents... this is a wonderful thread btw, even if a little off topic ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 07:27:12 am by chichin0 »

Offline Usagi_Yojimbo

• Condor Hero
  • It wasn't me, I wasn't there, you can't prove it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 22, 2005, 07:53:33 am »
You have to keep in mind that NO roll cage is designed to protect the vehicle, only the driver. if you hit a wall or roll you're vehicle at high speeds, it's probab;y gonna be scrap, heavily damaged at the very least. Trust me I'm a Tow Truck Driver and I specialize in off road recovery, and the only cages I've seen stand up to a roll or a hard hit, are titanium exoskeletons, not really performance enhancing. Most rollcages will break in places if you wreck at more than 50 MPH. the point is they protect the occupant(s)
He who sleep with itchy butthole. Wake with stinky finger

Offline JC

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 22, 2005, 08:26:18 am »
The one we'd installed was supposed to be rated to hold rigidity to up to 300km/h, but... Eh...

We need a new R32 body now :P

The alloy we're looking at is the same sort of alloy used to make the blocks in cars, especially the new Holden (Uhm... Pontiac... I think for you US people) Alloytec V6 and V8 engines (192Kw as an NA engine... Yummy), but that's up to the people who race, I just tune the suspension and a few other things.

Considering the impact and everything, we were able to recover most of the block, both diffs (GTR), gearbox, and 50% of the fuel system... Ironically, the bracket that had been put in for a NOS bottle was completely destroyed on impact, thus making us relieved that there wasn't a bottle in there, else it'd be a different kettle of fish :/

NOS is death in a bottle :P

Offline CooBlueDAB

• Condor Hero
  • To each his own, and I'm in my own universe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 22, 2005, 08:29:52 am »
chichin0: Cage was rated for a certain amount of movement, top and front point bars snapped on impact... They're supposed to bend, not snap. So we're useing an alloy this time, not hi card stainless steel forged.

5 point harness? 4 points are quite adequate, and all we can afford to use...

What questions was there to answer, and where? I don't own a 300ZX that claims to do under 10s, I'm more interested in track events, say... 280 and 480 hp classes... The only times I even think of drag racing is after tweaking on my own car, and it's nothing impressive at the moment, still running stock times of 16s (Funny, my car is still stock!)

My appologies, the comments about cages made me believe that you were the ricer with teh 300z... lol...

Anyways... when using a bucket seat with a 4 point harnest or more... you should have... aka need a roll cage because if you roll over, instead of sliding sideways in the seat while the roof collapses... you would be trapped straight up, and have your neck snapped or head crushed by the roof.
Kevin is awesome, worship him! (YES!)

Offline email__tim

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 22, 2005, 11:47:50 am »
Has anyone tried the website http://www.initialdthemovie.com/ Is it just me or is this website SLOW?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 11:48:41 am by email__tim »
Who is this Kevin anyway? Worship ME!

Offline JC

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 22, 2005, 01:08:46 pm »
The website is slow... I tried it on the 100mbit link that I have at a temp work, and it was slow as :(

It's okay coobluedab... I had to read it a few times before realising that you were on about someone else... That and I would NEVER buy a 300ZX... Engine maybe, but pfft... My Holden Commodore VL rules (They came with the R31 Skyline engine, what more can I say... An RB26DETT fits in perfectly)

For all the car orientated people here who know what they're on about... What would you rather see under the hood of an R32 GTR... The "stock" layout of the RB26DETT, or would you rather see a nicely worked RB26DESC (Supercharged)?? I was working out the rough power figures, and got to within about 15 hp (Supercharger was 15hp up on the turbo at lower rpm, didn't go all the way up the powerband) :P

Offline Sun_Tze

• Condor Hero
  • Beware the eyebrow of doom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 22, 2005, 07:24:28 pm »
Ok, now making you talk about other cars besides Jap cars.

A friend of mine is an owner of a Corsa (Stock photo here: http://www.corsaturbo.com/recursos/2002/08.19/1.jpg ) that is now with 303HP on his front whells, that makes it quite difficult to make turns with this car.

So, here is his last stuff he is trying to install on his Corsa:

A 4X4 system from a Calibra Turbo :) If he succeds on istalling this, his car can go up to 500HP
Something tells me where's not in Kansas anymore...

Offline Usagi_Yojimbo

• Condor Hero
  • It wasn't me, I wasn't there, you can't prove it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 22, 2005, 07:40:14 pm »
especially the new Holden (Uhm... Pontiac... I think for you US people)

Holden's variants have cousins in almost all of GM's Stable
He who sleep with itchy butthole. Wake with stinky finger

Offline Elchfaenger

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 22, 2005, 09:08:12 pm »
Ok, now making you talk about other cars besides Jap cars.

A friend of mine is an owner of a Corsa (Stock photo here: http://www.corsaturbo.com/recursos/2002/08.19/1.jpg ) that is now with 303HP on his front whells, that makes it quite difficult to make turns with this car.

A 4X4 system from a Calibra Turbo :) If he succeds on istalling this, his car can go up to 500HP

Opel sucks, really! And 303HP on that tiny little car is just crazy! Why not using the money and buyning another car, maybe one that is not mainly driven by housewifes?
Oh man, i really dont get it. Of all cars... a Corsa!
Speed doesn't kill - its the sudden stop that hurts!