Author Topic: top hated books  (Read 31902 times)

Offline crypticgimp

• Death God Hero
  • wOOt
    • View Profile
top hated books
« on: October 02, 2004, 09:17:54 pm »
hey you know how everyone does their most favourite books list? well i want to know what you have read that was terrible..amde you writhe in pain, gouge your eyes out...you get the picture...

i'll start with nathaniel hawthorne's the scarlet letter
billy budd by herman melville
cold sassy tree
the pearl by john steinbeck
of mice and men by john steinbecki am sure there is more but this is a starter now post people post!
"Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
I AM queen of underwire!

KillJoy

Re: top hated books
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 09:27:08 pm »
The scarlet letter was so up there.  Though I found you could read the first line and last line out of the paragraphs since everything else was discription.  Made it a much faster read.  I see him now screaming, "Must pad the short story"

I have to say and I know I'll get roasted for it, ANY James Joyce novel.  Someone that gets into the world record book for longest run on sentence should not have had a successful book.  I got 10 points taken off papers for one line that needed a comma.  That is un far, I could have been the next prick writer that snows people into thinking he is cutting edge.  Ohh lovely to know some guy wrote a book that busted Joyce's record.  I still hate Joyce for getting published.

Offline crypticgimp

• Death God Hero
  • wOOt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 09:34:47 pm »
lol my friend would hurt you for that but i havent read any of joyce to form a decent opinion (last post i swear). but hawthorne just loves tor ant about how clever he is in the scarlet letter with all his run on scentences and fragments and omg DIE HAWTHORNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I AM queen of underwire!

KillJoy

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 09:38:21 pm »
the great thing about books if you don't like them don't read them.  In like the radio where people can crank it  up and share music you don't like with you, books are more of a quiet thing done through your own effort.

Offline crypticgimp

• Death God Hero
  • wOOt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 09:41:00 pm »
i agree (ahahaha i LIED) but the scarlet letter, and all the other ones i mentioned, were for school so i HAD to read them.  plus i have this thing that once i start  something i have to finish it.  oh i forgot to add daphne dumaurier's rebecca.  that book i  havent finished and it took me 5 years to get past chapter 1
I AM queen of underwire!

KillJoy

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 09:46:12 pm »
Dune is the book I always think I want to read, but keep dropping after a chapter or so for a year or two.  I keep thinking I'm just not in the mood to suffere though a long winded book or something.  I really want to enjoy the story because I've known forever that it is a much better story than the movies etc.  But..  I can't do it. Maybe I was never meant to read something that challenges me.

Offline mikala

• Rakuen Hero
  • i wanna be an hero :o
    • View Profile
    • Mikala's Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 12:44:50 am »
dune is really good :/
Jabber ID : mikala@jabber.littleboboy.net

KillJoy

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 02:31:45 am »
I keep hoping it is I just never seem able to invest that kind of time in a book

Offline crypticgimp

• Death God Hero
  • wOOt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 03:11:00 am »
i like dune..my dad has the whole series and i would take it from him and read (much to my mother's chagrin) it is challenging but i like the challenge
I AM queen of underwire!

KillJoy

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 04:21:46 am »
I like challenges as well but I guess the problem is people already told me the story so it is hard to sit through what you already know?

Offline crypticgimp

• Death God Hero
  • wOOt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 06:01:01 am »
i understand that one but still..its nice to read it for yourself!
I AM queen of underwire!

KillJoy

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2004, 06:23:12 am »
aaah I know a book I hated to read.  Any instruction manual written in French by someone that spoke Eskimo.  I find most instruction booklets have this level of skills uses to make them VCR DVD-R recorders etc. all those things tend to have these same books.  Most of the time the instructions are for a different model if they are in english at some place in the booklets.

Offline crypticgimp

• Death God Hero
  • wOOt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2004, 10:51:05 pm »
is that why men dont read instruction manuals? :P
I AM queen of underwire!

KillJoy

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2004, 11:21:53 pm »
I always thought they said Destruction manuals.  An Instruction manual would be more useful.

Offline crypticgimp

• Death God Hero
  • wOOt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004, 02:19:15 am »
hehe my eyes always glaze over when i see how thick they are..especially for things like calculators and cell phones...
I AM queen of underwire!